Wednesday, July 22, 2015

arts + crafts

Summer is starting to feel a little long these days so I stopped by the library and checked out two really great books full of creative ideas for making art with little ones: The Artful Parent and Tinkerlab. I did a quick read through of both the night before last and ended up making a Michaels run with Abby yesterday morning to gather supplies. I really like the idea of setting up "creative invitations" which might be something as simple as 4 blobs of paint, a piece of paper, and some Q-tips. I'd like to put a little more thought into this and make a list of some invitations to have ready for when Abby wakes from her naps. It would also be nice to get into the routine of having Abby work on her art while I'm making dinner or cleaning up around the house. Sometimes I rely on Curious George and Daniel Tiger on PBS a little more than I should. 


In the meantime, it was easy enough to pick up some Crayola window markers.


The colors are really fun!


My neat and tidy little girl did great staying on the glass and successfully avoided the walls, curtains, etc.


After her nap yesterday (she's been requesting pajamas for naps these days) Abby woke to find a little bowl of sequins, some feathers and a glue bottle. Ooh la la.



She picked out all PINK feathers.


So we'll see where this goes. Michaels had some unpainted wooden craft items 70% off -- birdhouses and such -- that I thought would be fun for her to paint. Canvases were also on sale and since I often find her paintings to be so interesting, perhaps I'll hang some of her work on our walls? Building sculptures with toothpicks, marshmallows and maybe even gumdrops (will she eat them all?) is also on the list. And splatter painting (outside!) on a day when I'm feeling adventurous. Any other ideas I'm missing?

I also want to document Abby's favorite activity of late: puzzles! We started with Melissa and Doug twelve piece wooden puzzles but now she's moved on to more pieces with her Crocodile Creek Fairytale puzzle. Both Robert and I are surprised at how quickly she puts the puzzles together all on her own. 


What are your favorite summer activities?

1 comment: