Friday, June 26, 2015

Abby's First Haircut

Other than a few locks of straight blonde baby hair I snipped off unceremoniously at the dinner table one night about a year ago, Abby has never had a pair of scissors near her hair. A trim has been seriously overdue and I thought it would be fun to schedule Abby's first official haircut while my parents were in town. A few of my friends have raved about Gina at Classic Haircuts for Kids and I'm so glad I listened to them because we all had a really fun experience.


Gina had all kinds of vintage comic books, signed character drawings and photographs, and old toys decorating her salon. She has a little girl of her own so she seemed to know how to quickly win Abby's trust.


The best distraction one can offer: Disney movies. How perfect that she had The Little Mermaid playing since that is Abby's current favorite. (Minus the "mean octopus" parts where we have to fast forward. I don't blame her.)


I'm kicking myself for not taking a before picture. Abby's hair really was looking pretty crazy. She had me hold her hand during the entire haircut. PUFF!

  

If my dad had it his way, all of his daughters and granddaughters would have hair down to our waists. He tried his best to talk me out of taking Abby in. Sorry, Papa!


Snip, snip! I didn't feel sentimental at all. Is that strange?


Gina showed us where the old baby hair changed into Abby's newer hair and that explained why her hair is always such a tangled mess. It brushes out like a dream now. I'm still learning how to work with her curls.


She wouldn't let go of my hand.


Gina gave Abby the full little girl royal treatment and at the end of the haircut sprinkled her with (pretend) fairy dust to complete the style.



This after picture doesn't do justice. Her hair looked soooo cute and refreshed and the style felt a little retro. Gina said she needed a little red bow on the side.


Very sweet, right?


She's beginning to look so grown up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment